Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Ore A. GH'18: Vivekananda Memorial Hospital

This summer, I was placed in Vivekananda Memorial Hospital (VMH) in the small, rural town of Saragur. While there, I was responsible for developing an extensive and comprehensive obstetric protocol handbook in order to help the hospital achieve NABH (National Accreditation Board of Hospitals) accreditation status. In order to do this,  worked closely with my two mentors, who were the Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Director of Nursing, respectively.

This project included developing patient education materials for common nosocomial diseases and ailments, writing standard operating procedures for general and emergency obstetric care cases, and designing operation theater visual aids and signage materials for the OBGYN department of VMH. After intensive background research and data acquisition, I collated the information into comprehensible, easily-accessible formats. The last step of my in-country project was consolidating these materials into a handbook for use by the health care professionals across the hospital.


Beyond just the logistical and educational aspects of my project topic and work, I learned an incredible amount about a culture and a people that I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to learn about in a less immersive context. I had the incredible opportunity to see an amazing NGO at work and learn from individuals who are dedicated to changing the way that service is approached and delivered. I was challenged both professionally and personally to truly understand what it means to be a global citizen, and I was exposed to altruistic, self-empowering ways of thinking and acting that will stay with me for a lifetime.

With my mentor, Dr. Pamaja!