Monday, August 7, 2017

Julia B. GH'19: Vivekananda Memorial Hospital

This past summer, I designed public health materials focused on healthy aging for the rural population. Having a singular project to focus on this summer was a refreshing change of pace from my life at Cornell. I had never had so much free reign on a project before, and I enjoyed having the opportunity to be creative with my designs and layouts. I combined allopathic and homeopathic methods in my project in order to create a more integrated and wide-reaching resource.

My information about ayurvedic medicine came from medical workers at the primary health center and my incredible mentors, who took the time to teach me about traditional Indian ayurvedic medicine. I found ayurveda fascinating and was actually lucky enough to get a traditional ayurvedic massage! I got a comprehensive view of traditional medicine because the rural health center where we were staying actually grew many of the plants and herbs used in ayurvedic medicine. Living at this rural primary health center with other students gave me the opportunity to better understand the communities that my project was designed to help. 

This summer gave me a much better idea of what working in the global health field would be like, and I was incredibly inspired by everything that the NGO we worked with (SVYM) does. They are able to make long-lasting connections with communities that foster trust and strong relationships. SVYM’s amazing work and employees have inspired me to work in the field of community health in the future, and I am so grateful for all that I learned this summer. I hope to carry this experience with me in my future global health career! I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in public health or community development. I hope I get a chance to go back to India one day and revisit SVYM!

After our final presentations with our mentors!