Thursday, August 10, 2017

Anant S. GH'19: Sneha Kiran Spastic Society

This past summer, I was fortunate enough to work with the children at the Sneha Kiran of Mysore Spastic Society, a holistic NGO/school that provide all-inclusive care and education under one roof for individuals with CP. Their services include occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, educational services, vocational training, and parental/family education, among others. This experience was particularly unique, standing as one of the few Global Health opportunities in Mysore while integrating service and our requisite project work, seamlessly.
Having worked with children and disabled people separately, but not disabled children, I was apprehensive about what to expect upon my arrival and how would I be able to work with them. What I found was I felt even more invested and driven in my work because of the visible, almost daily progress I saw in the students I worked with. It also helped that after they got something right, the children would break out into a big smile and sometimes even give me a hug.
My project looked specifically at children and their assistive technology, particularly computer assistive technology. Assistive technology (AT) is any device that aims to increase the quality of life for a patient with an impairment or disability. This technology is usually subdivided into mobility enabling and communication enabling, with computers falling in the latter category.

This project was designed to quantify the impact of computer assistive technology on children with CP. This was done by examining two groups:
A: have received training once a week for 5+ years (long-term)

B: haven’t been exposed to a computer before (short-term)

Group A students continued with weekly exercises while Group B performed daily exercises. These groups were examined for six weeks for physical, cognitive, psychological, and academic abilities, along with typing speed and accuracy. This was accomplished through observation of the children during various typing exercises and games. We found through this study that, despite having 5 or more years of experience of learning with computers, the group A children experienced nearly the same level of growth as the group B children who received daily reinforcement.
While I expected to have learned something from my time with the children, I did not expect how difficult they made it to say good-bye. I had really grown quite fond of the children, having grown accustomed to and charmed by their idiosyncrasies and always inspired by their drive to learn, never letting their disability hinder them. Furthermore, they have made me re-evaluate my own future and made me consider continue this sort of work with children in my future.