Friday, August 18, 2017

Autumn F. BSILR'19: Palliative Care Program

During the Summer of 2017, I was fortunate to participate in the ILR Global Service Learning (GSL) Program in India. For six weeks, I learned of India’s culture, economy, and history from esteemed Indian academics, and executed a project for the world-renowned non-profit human development organization, the Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement (SVYM).
I was tasked with analyzing the current revenue-generation system of SVYM’s Palliative Care Program and providing actionable, implementable recommendations to improve it. My final deliverable included a report of my observations, research, analysis, and recommendations, in addition to several marketing materials such as posters and social media posts to be utilized to enhance Program branding. The GSL Program in India pushed me to engage with the world beyond the classroom. My participation in classes and a service project allowed me to practice intercultural competence, gain experience that applied my studies in a real-world context, and execute a project that was pivotal to the continued success of SVYM’s impactful humanitarian efforts. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to have participated in this meaningful program.