Monday, August 14, 2017

Irene L. GH'18: Vivekananda Memorial Hospital

This summer, I was privileged to be able to work and study with SVYM through the India Global Service learning program. The first two weeks were spent in Mysore, taking classes with Indian professors about a variety of subjects such as caste, Indian literature and the Indian Healthcare system. It enjoyed these two weeks incredibly because I had a chance to adjust to my surroundings, bond with my cohort and prepare myself for the next six project weeks.
After the two weeks concluded, I had the privilege of working on a maternity healthcare project in Vivekananda Memorial Hospital, located in Saragur. First, I identified trends in maternal delivery data. I found that there were more home deliveries in the tribal villages that SVYM serves than there are in Karnataka.Next, I analyzed cases of home deliveries and created a home delivery survey. I characterized women who delivered at home by site, month of delivery and other demographic factors and compared it with data from all deliveries. My mentor, Dr. Manohar, and I then made a survey to be given out to women who had delivered at home. The surveys were implemented in two villages. Finally, I wrote a paper on the characteristics of home deliveries from 2013-2017. We found that women who had delivered at home had a higher gravidity and a greater number of living children than women who delivered at an institution. This project period allowed me to gain a better understanding of the role of NGOs in development and the holistic nature of the work that SVYM does. It also gave me insight on the day-to-day work of community health leaders, a role that I hope to play in my career.
During my field experience, I was able to see that intercultural competency is critical in working in an international setting. Global Health courses at Cornell stress the cultural intricacies that affect intervention delivery, but I found that intercultural competency, humility and respect also affects the way that we work with local organizations and healthcare professionals. I definitely learned to focus more on the process, rather than just the outcome. I was so lucky to have participated in this program and really hope that I will be able to go back and visit SVYM in the future!

The Mobile Health Unit used for community Health Work

With one the mentors, Dr. Padmaja, an ob-gyn!