Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Winnie H. GH'19: Vivekananda Memorial Hospital

My project centered on an integrative skin disease booklet that gave instructions and detailed Allopathic and Ayurvedic information on eight common skin diseases in the area. I had spoken primarily with Allopathic and Ayurvedic doctors about the possibilities of integrating their work and discovered several roadblocks to successful integration. For one, allopathic doctors tended to be skeptical of Ayurveda, because as a system that has existed for over 5000 years, it has only recently undergone more rigorous scientific and evidence-based testing. On the other hand, Ayurvedic doctors tended to understand and practice more Allopathic principles but many viewed the side effects and the symptomatic approach of allopathy to be insufficient to treating the patient holistically. For the patients and community members, the integrative care also needed to be affordable and successful and promoting their long-term health. The issue persists because it requires many parties to come to a consensus and be willing to put in the efforts to make integration work. VMH-Saragur has been investigating this integrated approach for some time and still finds that physician attitude is still one of the primary reasons this is difficult to implement. Many of the patients in the area seem to show acceptance of both types of treatment, as evidenced by several coming in for both Allopathic and Ayurvedic treatment at both VMH Kenchanahalli and VMH Saragur. However, I realize that due to a language barrier and my limited scope, there is much I have left to understand. It is my hope that the manual I have created in addition to the strong advocacy that I have seen from doctors on both sides of the issue will help bridge this gap.
I truly loved my time in India and learned so much more than just about my project. It was incredibly eye-opening to witness the culture, the people, and all of the history (and amazing food!). I definitely returned home with a different sense of how to approach healthcare and medicine in a holistic fashion. Furthermore, I am incredibly grateful for my mentors Dr. Arundhati, Dr. Mohan, and Dr. Seetharam for their endless guidance, wisdom, and friendship. Thank you for an amazing and unforgettable summer – I hope I get to return again one day!


In front of Mysore Hotel!