Friday, August 11, 2017

Annika B. GH'19: Vivekananda Memorial Hospital

This past summer, I spent eight weeks in Southern India, more specifically, Mysore District. The first two weeks were spent acclimating to daily life in India, the food, the city, and the exciting cultural and historical sites Mysore has to offer. We spent each morning in the classroom learning about concepts I would later find helpful in my project, like the Indian healthcare system. After two weeks, I left the city and travelled to Kenchenahalli where I stayed for the rest of my time in India. Here I spent my free time with the families and children who ran the primary health center, and became friends with a dog, we all endearingly called “Sweet Girl”. During the week, I commuted to Saragur, a secondary health facility, where I was tasked with creating culturally appropriate and interactive maternal and child health education materials to be used by health care facilitators in the field. I used Adobe Illustrator and my own drawings to create pictures to educate on concepts like family planning, lactation management, adolescent and child development, antenatal care, and childbirth. I was really happy to be able to combine my interests in art and health care through this project. Actually going out into the field and seeing communities that would potentially use some of my materials was very rewarding. Seeing the final products of some of the animations and images I created, made me proud and happy to have contributed a small portion to the NGO.

Beyond my project, this experience was impactful in so many ways (and I find it difficult to condense my summer into only a few sentences). I was inspired daily by my mentors, the doctors, community health facilitators, SVYM staff, and the patients whom we went out into the field to visit and learn from. Though I cannot speak any Kannada, I still felt that I made meaningful connections with the people I met.

I honestly think that while I was there to “help” SVYM, they helped me more. I grew as a student interested in global health, and I was able to reconnect with a part of my heritage that my family lost when immigrating to the United States. After my summer, I am ever more solidified in my decision to pursue public health and health policy. Being in India, my suspicions about not wanting to be a doctor were confirmed. But SVYM made me realize that being involved in the health world does not necessarily mean I have to be a doctor, and that there are other impactful paths to “helping” and collaborating with people on a global scale.
World Yoga Day!

At Mysore Palace

With ASHAs at the Primary Health Care Center