Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Zasu S. GH CHE'22: Maternal Health and Out of Pocket Expenditure

-->
This summer I have been privileged and overjoyed to participate in the India Global Service Learning Program. Through this program, I spent eight weeks living in Mysore, Karnataka, partnered with and learning from the development NGO, Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement, also known as SVYM. During my time at SVYM, I worked under GRAAM--Grassroots Research and Advocacy Movement. My work at GRAAM contributed to a larger study exploring the prevalence, implications, and causes of out of pocket expenditures for maternal healthcare. To better understand these expenditures, I compiled national and district level data on maternal health service uptake, analyzed maternal health trends in Karnataka over the last 20 years, and used statistical methods to explore the relationship between out of pocket expenditures and maternal health. Additionally, I visited a primary health facility and spoke with health professionals to better understand health infrastructure in Karnataka.
After completing research, I found a few key trends. First, in Karnataka institutional births have experienced an impressive increase between 2004 and 2016. Secondly, full antenatal care service uptake has experienced a significant decline, while specific antenatal care indicators (such as neonatal tetanus vaccinations and first trimester check-ups) have experienced a sharp increase directly followed by a sharp decrease.
Additionally, I found a few key correlations. First, I found a correlation between out of pocket expenditures and maternal health outcomes. Lastly, I found correlations between out of pocket expenditures and institutional births, and between out of pocket expenditures and caesarean sections.
Ultimately, my experience at SVYM has affected me personally and professionally. It has challenged me and it has given me the opportunity to experience a different way of life. I am incredibly grateful for all that I have experienced and learned these last eight weeks in Mysore.