Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Beth G. GH'20: TI Migrant Project

-->
This past summer, I had the incredible privilege of working under the TI-Migrant Project at SVYM in Mysore, India. TI stands for targeted intervention -- the main goals of the project are to decrease the prevalence of HIV/AIDS and STIs/RTIs among migrant workers in Mysore through migrant community-targeted interventions. The team does a lot of work to build rapport with stakeholders, such as supervisors of migrant work sites, so that they can go into these sites and conduct health camps, educational activities, counseling, interviews, and much more. While many people may think of migrant workers in terms of transnational migration, India faces a vast amount of internal migration between states. Individuals and their families who decide to migrate are normally in search of employment opportunities and economic security that they cannot find at home, although their destinations do not necessarily provide the security that they need. Migrant workers are a particularly vulnerable population because mobility decreases access to health and social services and increases feelings of isolation, loneliness, and the likelihood for risk-taking. The fact that the languages and cultures differ so greatly between states only increases this fact.
Although the TI-Migrant’s main focus is sexual and reproductive health, they also value the overall health and well-being of migrants. My project focused on the social well-being of migrants; the objectives were to identify the needs of social entitlements among the migrant worker community. I created a questionnaire to analyze social welfare awareness, eligibility, barriers to access, and unmet needs among migrant workers, and disseminated it at various field sites with a translator. I found that awareness of different social entitlement schemes among migrants was very low, but that migrants had a strong desire to save money for the future of their families and their children. I also found that many migrants lack basic needs at their living site, including toilets and clean running water. To finalize my project, I created a report outlining the results of my survey, as well as a document containing information on social entitlement schemes in different states of India, to be used by migrants who want to access programs in their native state.
My project provided me with the kind of education that the classroom cannot provide—the best kind of education. Visiting the field and interacting with migrants illustrates the importance of knowing and understanding the community in which you are researching; seeing faces and hearing stories firsthand puts empathy and meaning behind numbers and figures. Additionally, seeing the passion and drive of the TI-Migrant team and the dedication that they held towards their community showed me how important it is to find meaning in your work. Although some moments were challenging and I was pushed out of my comfort zone at times, I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to pursue this project with SVYM. I know that this summer will continue to impact the choices I make and the values I hold for years to come.