Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Emily D. GH'21: Assessing Indian Public Health Standard Implementation

-->
For my project I am working on assessing the implementation of the Indian Public Health Standards in HD Kote taluk. I have been in Saragur for the past few weeks working at Vivekananda Memorial Hospital (VMH) alongside many amazing doctors in order to execute a government survey consisting of health facility requirements for services, manpower, and physical infrastructure in Primary Health Centers (PHCs) and Subcenters. Since India is such a populous country (2nd largest population in the world), I am curious to see how national policies are implemented at the local level, specifically in rural villages.
Based on preliminary analysis of the subcenters and PHCs I have been able to visit; it is evident that all of the centers are struggling to retain enough manpower to keep the centers running efficiently. I interviewed one ANM (Auxiliary Midwife Nurse) who served as the sole employee of two subcenters since she had to fill in for a center that was vacant for 15 years. The center, Ramenahalli B, also does not have a building at the moment, so the ANM, Bharthi, travels to Anganwadi centers to treat patients. I also talked to another ANM, Kamala, who runs two other subcenters in the N Belthuru village, and she said the most challenging part about her job is that it is located in such a dangerous area, alongside Nagarhole National Park and Tiger Reserve, so there is a lot of fear of wild animals. Subcenters cover the smallest population in the public healthcare system (ideally 3,000-5,000 people) and therefore they are often the most remote. Thus, it is difficult to find people to work in these areas, which is evident in N Belthuru, where there are nine subcenters but only five ANMs to staff them.
Data collection for my project has definitely been frustrating at times, but this just goes to show how challenging it is to monitor national policies in such a large country, especially in areas that are difficult to access. Furthermore, it is hard to know for sure if the centers actually provide the services I am inquiring about, as I am unable to observe the centers over an extended period of time, and instead I just have to interview the doctors and nurses. This is another challenge of policy monitoring, as especially as an outsider, it is difficult to understand the inner workings of centers. Although it is exasperating to see these understaffed and sometimes underutilized centers, the strength and dedication of the health workers is incredible, and I have really enjoyed traveling to these more rural sites and experiencing a part of India that I probably wouldn’t have been able to see otherwise. For the past few days we have driven through endless fields of crops and marigolds all on the backdrop of beautiful mountainscapes, and we have also seen many wild animals, from lizards to elephants. I have really enjoyed my time here in Saragur at VMH and I am so grateful for this experience and to have made so many memories and connections here that I know I will never forget.