Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Kieu P. GH CHE'21: Assisting in a Diabetes Screening Camp and Generating Educational Materials

-->
This summer, I had an incredible opportunity to work with SVYM and the VILD Foundation to learn about the Indian culture and healthcare system. One of VILD Foundation’s objectives is to form and support self-help groups, which mostly comprise of women, to produce and sell handmade products to earn additional income for their families. I had multiple chances to visit them in their villages and learning about their lives. In addition, I also visited some health facilities such as primary healthcare centers and was really impressed by how their organization and dedicated staff. Everywhere we go, we were welcomed and received so much support from the people here.

Conducting the diabetes camp

My project focused on the Diabetes Screening Camp and generating some educational materials about diabetes to follow up. The main aim of the camp was to identify diabetic patients and to follow up and provide some information to the population about the disease. We also wanted to assess the effectiveness of the Indian Diabetes Risk Score in pre-screening and quickly selecting only those with high risk of diabetes for blood glucose tests. This is due to the lack of availability and time to perform such tests. The camp was a great success with over 90 participants and we found 24 new cases of people with hypertension and diabetes. All of the participants were also taught simple yoga poses as a form of exercise to be done at home.
Kieu at work at VLEAD


Throughout my time here, not only did I have the chance to meet and form lasting relationship with amazing, humble and passionate people here who are working hard to improve the lives of others, I also get to apply all of my knowledge into real life. I learned the importance of integrating cultural and local context into questionnaires and how to navigate the professional environment and intercultural interactions. Overall, this experience has been extremely meaningful and enriching to me and have reinforced my wish to pursue a career in global health with a focus on Asia.