Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Sarah P. GH ILR'21: Postnatal Care Practices for Mothers and Newborns


-->
          For my project work this summer I had the opportunity of working at the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital in Sargur! My project involved studying postnatal care practices for mothers and newborns. For the first part of my project I created a survey that was to be used to interview women about the postnatal care practices that they use for themselves and for their children. The survey encompassed areas of postnatal care such as postnatal diet, breastfeeding, home-based postnatal care, traditional practices used, hygiene, and counseling for postnatal care. After creating the survey, I interviewed 25 individuals at the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital and 20 individuals at Anganwadi centers in the Sargur and HD Kote Taluks. After collecting the data from the interviews, I analyzed the practices that were used and compared them to standard postnatal care practices. Based on this, I made recommendations as to what areas of postnatal care could be improved and in what areas women are doing well. In the future, I plan to continue working with my mentors and the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital to develop informational materials about postnatal care.
            Even though my project work was very difficult, I found it to be an extremely enriching and amazing experience. Being able to interview women for my project was one of the most memorable aspects of the work that I did. It was so insightful to be able to learn from the women that I spoke to about the postnatal care practices that they use. Furthermore, being able to travel to more rural village to interview women at the Anganwadi centers provided me with invaluable experiences and more exposure to the more rural areas of India. Although I had a positive experience, like my peers, I also faced many challenges. Not having strong Kannada skills and being pressed for time were continuous issues throughout my project. However, with this I learned how to be extremely flexible and adaptable in order to get my work done. Ultimately, my project work not only taught me about postnatal care but provided me with key research skills and a better understanding of how to navigate project work as a whole.