Monday, July 31, 2023

Sharon L. ILR ‘25, Project: Research on Nonprofit Learning & Development Initiatives with SVYM's Human Resources Department

This summer, I had the incredible opportunity to work with SVYM’s Human Resources department to conduct a 20-page comparative research study on nonprofit learning and development (L&D) initiatives and HR best practices. The deliverable is titled “Transitioning to a Learning Organization,” and I had the invaluable support of our TA Sri Ravisankar as well as the mentorship of Ms. Lilly Verghese and Dr. Vishwas Rao!

For my project, my responsibility was to understand SVYM could transition from an HR management approach to people management to transition into a learning organization. The way that this transition could be facilitated would be by implementing L&D initiatives, which refer to enhancing employees’ knowledge, skills, and competencies through both informal and formal learning processes. 

For the first part of my research, I assessed the gaps between SVYM’s existing practices and its planned future strategy by qualitatively analyzing three of their previous modules for their L&D initiatives: 1) Knowing Your Organization, 2) Development Paradigm, and 3) Workplace Etiquette and Professionalism. I also conducted a comprehensive literature review to complement my analysis with scholarly articles concerning the challenges that nonprofits face with nonprofit management, and an evidence-based methodology to learn how training could be more indivudalized for employee needs. 

Then, I analyzed multiple case studies on three nonprofit and two corporate organizations to make a comparative analysis of the best L&D practices in reputed organizations. I was able to use this comparison to devise strategy recommendations for SVYM to transition into a learning organization. Specifically, our recommendations consisted of emphasizing interactive learning through the 70-20-10 L&D Model, expanding on employee empowerment through initiatives such as a mentorship program, aligning the L&D strategy with the HR strategy, and a scale-up of technological initiatives.

The conclusion of my final deliverable ended with a final presentation of my findings to SVYM and stakeholders, and our recommendations are currently in consideration for SVYM’s strategies to transition into a learning organization. Overall, this experience was an invaluable professional development and cultural immersion experience, and I am so grateful to everyone at SVYM who made this program as amazing as it was!