Friday, July 7, 2023

Claire Q. ILR ‘24 , Project: Observational Case Study of Grassroots Leadership at VLEAD


This past summer, I had the wonderful opportunity of working with the Vivekananda Institute for Leadership Development (Vlead) at Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement (SVYM) as part of the India Global Service Learning Program. Under the mentorship of Mr. Sudarshan and Mr. Ramesh, I observed and analyzed emerging grassroots leadership styles within SVYM and the community under the human and social capital development context. 

My project consisted of three distinct phases: Observation, Discussion, and Analysis. During the observation stage of my project, I observed leadership characteristics and organizational culture in the time I spent with 7 inspirational grassroots leaders from SVYM’s education, health, and administration sectors. After a day of observation with each grassroots leader, I shifted into the discussion phase, where I had semi-structured conversations with each of them about workplace practices, general schedules, responsibilities, and leadership approaches. Upon gathering the qualitative data from the observations phase and the discussion phase, in my analyzing phase, I focused on drawing out meaningful insights and trends that served as the basis for the categorization of emerging leadership styles and traits. 

It was an absolute joy collaborating with my mentors, Mr. Sudarshan and Mr. Ramesh, as well as the rest of the Vlead team. I am forever grateful for their genuine kindness, support, and guidance throughout this summer. 

Overall this experience has broadened my perspective of the different approaches to grassroots leadership and, most notably, made me realize the crucial role that communities play in their own development.