Monday, July 24, 2023

Julia G. ILR ‘25, Project: Totally Tribal, SVYM's Socio-Economic Empowerment Program

This summer I was honored to work with Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement in their Socio-Economic Empowerment Program. I focused on Totally Tribal with the help of my mentor, Dr. Denns. This project has been incredibly meaningful and transformed who I am as a person. It taught me universal lessons, helped me to feel comfortable in a new country, and most importantly how to understand others. 

Now onto my project! I integrated cultural knowledge into an orientation pitch deck using academic knowledge and personal experience to train future team members on engaging respectfully with the women. Secondly, I initiated fair trade licensing for the business by identifying and locating proper documentation for continued progress. Lastly, I performed a company analysis of revenues and expenses for each sub-department of business, culminating in a final presentation to the directors of SVYM and SEEP. 

This helped me grow tremendously and I will continue to use these skills in future endeavors at Cornell. Besides the skills I have taken away from this program, I valued my time with several mentors at SVYM. I am grateful for the kindness from the SVYM staff and connections I have made. Thank you everyone for this opportunity again!