Friday, July 21, 2023

Margot T. ILR ‘24, Project: Comparative Analysis on ADR Indian Labor Disputes and Legal Analysis of the New Indian Labour Codes

I spent this summer in the offices of J. Purushotham and Associates, one of the top labor and employment firms in Mysore. Under Mr. Purushotham’s mentorship, I saw the inner workings of Indian labor relations and the court system. 

During my daily trips, I observed labor court, civil court, Lok Adalat, bilateral union meetings, and the Industrial Labour Tribunal. My favorite was Lok Adalat, a form of Indian alternative dispute resolution (ADR) where off-duty judges and trusted advisors persuade and advise disputing parties to reach a mutual settlement. During the National Lok Adalat in July, the Judge invited me and two other SVYM interns to sit directly behind him so that we could best see, hear, and learn from the proceedings. I also visited two factories, hearing from HR professionals and union leaders about labor relations. Within the office, I joined 17 client meetings, observing how Mr. Purushotham builds relationships with corporations, strategizes with HR leaders, and practices the law. 

With my newfound perspective, I completed two projects. First, I wrote a research paper on ADR Indian labor disputes, conducting a comparative analysis of ADR in China, Indonesia, and the United States. Mr. Purushotham will incorporate my recommendations to promote ADR for labor disputes. Second, I completed a legal analysis of the new Indian Labour Codes. The new laws redefine essential terms, such as employer, wages, and industrial dispute, drastically impacting the future of labor law. My report compared the new and old language to highlight fundamental changes and their impact, enabling Mr. Purushotham to better advise clients in the future. 

I am immensely grateful to Mr. Purushotham, his staff, and his clients for empowering me to learn in such a hands-on setting. I am also grateful to Mr. Raju for driving me to work through the Mysore morning traffic and all the staff at SVYM for their support and guidance. I will carry my new perspective, aided by Mr. Purushotham’s generous mentorship and genuine friendship, into my future legal career.