Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Trisha O. HE GH'22, Mobile Health Unit Project at SVYM

 Data Analysis and Report Writing for the Mobile Health Unit

My remote project with SVYM this summer is to analyze the data collected by SVYM's Mobile Health Unit within the past two years (April 2018 to March 2020) and develop a data analysis report to then facilitate the process of writing relevant articles on the data as well as making improvements or adjustments to the Mobile Health Unit.  SVYM's Mobile Health Unit serves as the primary point of contact for underserved tribal communities in the HD Kote taluk of the Mysore district. Data analysis and report writing is integral to measuring program effectiveness and progress. A successful and sustainable program requires constant feedback between all stakeholders involved. Incorporation of statistical analysis of collected data with critical consideration of the context from which the data was taken will not only help improve SVYM’s Mobile Health Unit efficacy, but can also contribute to the overall literature on tribal populations in Karnataka and India, which is currently lacking.

One of my biggest challenges with this project being remote was digging deeper into the data, making inferences, and drawing conclusions without having the level of cultural immersion I was expecting to have this summer. Constant communication with my mentor, Dr. Dennis, and other faculty at SVYM was vital to me in trying to fill this gap. While this experience was nothing I ever expected, I learned so much and gained / improved so many skills. I am proud to have shown how independent and full of initiative I am through this program. Additionally, I have improved my versatility, adaptability, and communication skills. I am so grateful to have been part of this unique and incredible program and partnership with SVYM.