Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Olivia S. ILR'22, HR & Talent Management at SVYM

My name is Olivia S., and I am a rising Junior in the ILR school, minoring in inequality studies and business. I have been working remotely from Cincinnati, OH this summer, and have had a rewarding, challenging, and exciting virtual experience. 

This past summer, I had the opportunity to complete a virtual project for the Human Resources department of SVYM. I created the framework for identifying and developing internal talent pools at SVYM. Internal talent pools are crucial for both developing talent and succession planning. Over the course of the summer, I thoroughly researched talent pools until I was eventually able to distinguish four important steps to create the talent pool framework: 

1.     Identify the Talent Pools

2.     Develop the Talent Pools

3.     Assess the Talent Pools

4.     Monitor the Talent Pools

These four steps are outlined in my final document, and better explained and enhanced with charts and graphics. The biggest challenge I faced in completing my project was researching a topic that I was completely unfamiliar with. I had to do extensive industry research before I could even start working on the outline for my final project. When my project finally came together into one document, it was incredibly rewarding to see all my hard work one place. I am excited to see how SVYM will use my document to create their internal talent pools, and how my project might help with succession planning. 

When I applied for the global service-learning program, I thought I would be spending the summer in India. I was looking forward to learning from SVYM and bonding with my peers. After Cornell sent us home due to COVID-19, I thought that the GLS program was over. When Donna informed us that the program would be done remotely, I was overjoyed! SVYM did a prenominal job of setting up a last-minute virtual program, filled with guest-lectures, group meetings, and much more. I could not be more grateful to SVYM and my mentor for going above and beyond in helping me with my project and putting together this program. This summer has been full of obstacles for everyone, and I am so proud of this GSL group for rolling with the endless punches and doing a fantastic job despite everything going on around us. Thank you to everyone who made this summer what it was, this has been an experience to remember for a lifetime. Hopefully I can travel to Mysore next summer, but if not, I am still so incredibly grateful for this summer journey.