Friday, September 25, 2020

Anne B. ILR'23, HR Projects: Grievance Process & Sexual Harassment in the Workplace Awareness

     This past summer, I had the incredible privilege of working with SVYM in the India Global Service Learning Program. Being the first virtual cohort had come with many unique challenges like wifi connectivity, virtual cross cultural engagement, and figuring out how to navigate the unknown. I had the opportunity to work on two projects: creating a formalized grievance process as well as creating a sexual harassment in the workplace awareness video. 

 

    My first project, the formalized grievance process was a nine page document highlighting how employees ultimately are able to address potential issues that could be hindering their productivity and happiness. A grievance procedure is designed to give employees and employers an unbiased, fair, and objective system to raise and review serious issues and complaints. Additionally, a formalized grievance procedure has many benefits for a positive working environment like legitimizing the established policies and procedures of SVYM, increasing employee retention, and decreasing liability. I was able to input flow charts that described the steps for employees to file a grievance as well as how human resources should respond to those grievances. My recommendations were a list of guidelines to ensure efficient and effective ways to handle employee grievances ethically. Lastly, I emphasized the significance of prioritizing the prevention of grievances and only using the grievance procedure as a tool for employee productivity, safety, and retention. 


 

    My second project was the sexual harassment in the workplace awareness video. As one of the leading issues women face today, creating a comprehensive educational video on sexual harassment in the workplace would help summarize the POSH Act as well as teach employees how to create a safe working environment. Not only does educating employees safeguard against inappropriate and unwanted advances, but empowers those who may encounter sexual harassment to report cases to management. The presentation was first created on Canva and then animated through Keynote and lastly compiled in iMovie. The editing process was definitely frustrating at times, but incredibly rewarding in the end. SVYM does quarterly education on sexual harassment in the workplace, but the creation of the video would allow employees to access information on sexual harassment in the workplace anytime. 

 

    Throughout my experience, I had many doubts with my lack of expertise in the subject matter as well as being new in handling video editing software for a professional presentation. However, I ultimately came to the realization that everything could be learned and adapted. My experience was ultimately a significant learning experience for me to discover more about my values and my work ethic. I am unbelievably grateful to SVYM, the GSL team, and my cohort for this empowering opportunity.