Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Ashley A. ILR'22, HR Project on Succession Planning at SVYM

 Namaskara everyone! 

My name is Ashley and this Summer of 2020, I completed a Succession Planning project for the Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement. I can say that completing this project was one of the most insightful experiences I have ever had. I was truly able to get that intercultural experience even though I was unable to physically be in Ithaca. Like everyone has been so helpful, and always looking to be kind to me, and really get me through each step of the process. 


In this blog post, my goal is to give an overview of my project, and highlight my favorite part of the project. Throughout my project I was able to provide SVYM a guide of best practices by researching the intimate aspects of succession planning, and mainly what are the best ways to go about it. Essentially, the guide goes over three steps: Analysis, Development and Implementation. I dive further into this 3-component process, by providing further detail and suggestions within each component. 


Top left, my mentor, Dr. Ravi. Below, Dr. Rekha, the Director of VIIS at SVYM.

During this Analysis portion of my project, I realized that it would be very beneficial to conduct a SWOT analysis of the organization. This was definitely my favorite part of the project because it would not only help me have a better understanding of the organization, but it would also help best formulate the best practices that apply to SVYM, additional advice to provide, and the details for the three director roles I was able to take a look at in the latter part of my project. With the help of and information provided to me by my mentor Dr. Ravi I was able to analyze the organization’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. And was ultimately able to provide SVYM’s HR department with other methods of using Succession Planning to make the organization more successful. After I finished all of this I was able to conduct the succession planning for 3-specific director roles within SVYM: 


1) the Director of HR, 2) the Director of Educational Program(s), and 3) the Director of Community Health Program(s). 


For each of these roles, I then laid out a charted out plan for selection criteria, skills and development that should be included, motivation factors that can be highlighted to potential candidates, and some things that should be happening in the implementation of this project. 


All in all, I would like to share how grateful I am that I was given the opportunity to participate in the India Global Service Learning Program! As an undergraduate college student I was able to take part in a very futuristic opportunity, one which will have prepared me for other possible intercultural experiences, and also one that can place me ahead of the game when preparing for future Human Resources internships or even possibly a career in Human Resources. I cannot imagine this experience having been any other way at this point, and it is not one that I will ever forget especially because I was able to have the support of my GSL peers and teaching team in the midst of this Summer opportunity that was now taking place in the middle of a pandemic. 


To people thinking about doing the GSL program, do it! Take the time, and apply! Only good can come out of it, and I can honestly say that I am in the midst of doing my project and already have recruiters focusing in depth on this experience. So not only am I seeing the impact that I was able to make and that was had on me through this project, but other people are seeing it too! 


And to people who know for sure that they will be taking part in the program… never forget that this opportunity chose you. My peers and I often feel unsure to the idea that maybe we should not be the ones doing this, and later realize that was completely untrue. We are all the perfect people to complete these projects, and can leave this experience knowing that we made the best out of it, and gave the best of us to the organization!