Saturday, July 30, 2022

Shruthisri (Sri) R. ILR ‘25, Project: Human Resources at SVYM



This past summer, I had the pleasure of working with the Human Resources Department at Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement (SVYM) as part of the India Global Service Learning Program. Under the mentorship of Ms. Cauvery and Dr. Vishwas, I focused on understanding the influence of organizational culture on employee satisfaction and retention.
Dr. Vishwas, one of Sri's mentors, lecturing on HR practices at SVYM.
The first phase of my project involved understanding the vision, mission, and core values of SVYM and how it is translated into the everyday work culture. After the first phase, I started designing a questionnaire that analyzed participants’ general attitudes and perspectives about day-to-day operations at the individual level and their engagement with SVYM. The questionnaire had close-ended (e.g., 4-point agreement scale) and open-ended questions across six topics: vision, mission & values, compensation, work environment, professional growth, co-worker relationships, and interactions with management.
Two versions of the questionnaire were presented to SYVM employees, manual and online, and we received over 440 responses within a 9-day timeframe. To analyze all the survey responses, I had to work with my mentor to execute initial data preparation, clean the dataset with Excel, and formulate a recommendation process to increase employee satisfaction, engagement, and retention. The final phase of my project ended with presenting my recommendations to the SVYM team using PowerPoint and data visualization tools. Thankfully, the results were positively received and are pending implementation.
In addition to working on my project, I enjoyed attending the guest lectures. From Mr. Purushotam’s talk on Labor Law to Dr. Balsubramanian’s talk on Gender Issues in Healthcare, each discussion was incredibly insightful. Reflecting on my experience thus far, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and work within a collaborative culture to initiate the change management process at SVYM. My sincere thanks to Dr. Vishwas, Ms. Cauvery, Donna Ramil, Anne Bugayoung, SVYM, and the GSL team for making this work possible and mentoring me throughout this process!