Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Cianna H. ILR'23, Project: HR Recruitment Processes at SVYM






This summer I had the amazing opportunity to participated in the ILR India Global Service-Learning Program and travel to Mysuru, India to visit SVYM. I worked closely with my mentor Mr. Mahesh and the Human Resources Department on my project which was to develop a comprehensive framework for HR assessments of candidates in order to standardize the recruitment process. Currently, SVYM has over 700 employees who work across Karnataka State and the organization is expanding as they serve more people.
 
Before I started my project, I was able to meet with both Mr. Mahesh and Dr. Vishwas, the head of HR, in person to get an overview of what my project would entail and expectations. The first component of my project I worked on the job posting templates which should effectively and accurately communicate what a position entails to attract talent and applicants fit for the role. I edited the SVYM job posting template using research on what key elements should be included and how it should be formatted. Then I worked on standardizing the HR interview questions for both external and internal candidates to ensure that candidates are being asked the same questions and interviewed impartially regardless of who is on the interview panel. HR interviews are used to gauge individuals (what their strengths are, whether they would be a good fit for the organization, etc.) and without a specific set of questions each interview may go in different directions, making it hard to truly compare candidates and make decisions for hiring. I started by researching what interviews should assess and good questions used to make these assessments. I then compiled a list a long list of questions for both internal and external candidates and created separate grading rubrics for each question to standardize the scores given by the interview panel. Lastly, I created an internal flowchart from the recruitment process to onboarding. Having this step-by-step visual breakdown allows the team to easily identify workflow issues if there are any, figure out what areas can improve, highlight efficiency, and where changes should be made. I was given an overview of the steps in their recruitment process, and I then used LucidCharts to piece together the flowchart.

 
I have learned and grown so much this summer, both professionally and personally. I expanded my knowledge and understanding of about the HR recruitment process as my project covered all aspects of recruitment and I also learned how to use LucidChart to create flowcharts. I also learned a lot from cross-cultural and international virtual collaboration and communication as it was definitely an adjustment transitioning from working in person in India to working virtual from home. The different classes we took at the SVYM Vivekananda Institute of Leadership Development in India were not only extremely interesting and engaging but also enrichened my experience in India as I was often able to apply or extend what we learned in class to our different work site visits and to better understand SVYM’s work and role in the community. I also enjoyed learning about Indian culture and exploring different cultural sites in Mysuru. I am so incredibly grateful for this summer and would like to thank SVYM, the India GSL team, and my cohort for this incredible experience.