Thursday, July 28, 2022

Mahona G. ILR'25, Project: Data Handbook for the Viveka Tribal Centre for Learning

Mahona (left) at Lalitha Mahal Palace Hotel for a tea break. 

My name is Mohona G, and I am a Sophomore at the ILR School. This summer, I had the privilege of working with SVYM and the Viveka Tribal Centre for Learning in Hosahalli, India, on a service learning project. The project consisted of the creation of a handbook which summarizes all the relevant data and information about all of the aspects of VTCL. Some of the goals of the project included having a complete compilation of school information, and having an easily accessible and understood source which newly-hired teachers, parents, donors, or others can use to fully understand the inner workings of the school. In the first week of my work on the project, I visited VTCL, where I met with my mentors: Ms. Shashikala, Mr. Padmaraju, and Mr. Lokesh, along with many others. They gave me a brief summary of all of the school information. During the second week, I created an outline using this information, and met with Ms. Shashikala to go over the outline and make any necessary changes. In the third week, after making the suggested edits, I met with Ms. Shashikala to finalize the outline of the handbook.

 
During the fourth week, I used the outline to create a first draft of the handbook, which I went over with Ms. Shashikala and Mr. Padmaraju during our weekly meeting. In the fifth week, I added pictures and made other necessary changes from the previous week’s feedback to the draft, and went over it during our weekly meeting.
 
Finally, I used all of the feedback and other additional information, supplied by my mentors, to finish the handbook. The final handbook is approximately 29 pages long. It includes three primary sections: Administration, Academics and Scholastic Activities, and Co-Scholastic Activities, each with various sub-sections. The handbook also includes sections for feedback, achievements and awards, and acknowledgements of the donors.
 
I have learned the true value of many aspects of life that I had previously taken for granted during my time working on this project. For example, I have learned the value of patience, clear communication, and open-mindedness. Above all, I learned the value of looking past my own limited worldview to learn from others.