Monday, September 17, 2018

Malikul Muhamad BSILR'20, Labor Law

This summer I had the fortunate opportunity to visit India and work with Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement and Purushotham & Associates. It was truly a humbling experience and I loved every moment—well almost every. Throughout the trip, I faced my share of challenges and I have grown so much as a result. 
As part of the program, I had two projects to study working conditions in factories and hotel establishments and alternative dispute resolution processes in India and suggest improvements to the current systems. Right from the start of working with the firm, I realized how much I would learn as I was able to be a part of a mock bargaining case with a local college and attend an actual bilateral meeting between management and union representatives. From then, I was able to sit in on client meetings, listening to HR managers discuss their issues and sometimes even giving my own insights, and attend court case hearings where I was able to see actual labor and employment cases being tried in person. I did reflect a lot on the value of my projects, specifically because the results of my projects were not as tangible as some of my peers, but I eventually realized the importance of what I was doing and the importance of the educational aspect behind them. Presenting my final deliverables and seeing the smile on the Purushotham’s faces was an incredible feeling, knowing I had made them proud.
Being in India was an invaluable experience, particularly because I was able to grow professionally, academically, and personally. Because of my time with Mr. Purushotham, I have learned so much about alternative dispute resolution, Indian labor laws, Indian factory working conditions, and HR concepts. I have also learned how to work in difficult situations and with different individuals that are not like myself, and I have learned how to get the most information from someone in the matter of 3 minutes (I’m talking about you, Mr. Purushotham). But above all, I learned what it means to emphasize with others, care deeply for them, and how to be compassionate. Seeing the hardships people face in India has really impacted the way I see things and I hope I can bring this same compassion to the U.S. with me. I hope I can use this experience to inspire other Cornell students to apply and come to India and be a part of something greater than just a resume builder. This experience has truly been a rewarding one and I will take it with me wherever I go.

Meet Raju 
Meet Raju. This man has been so incredible throughout my experience, and I hope I can say everyone else’s as well. Raju is the SVYM trusted auto-rickshaw driver that had to deal with our indecisive, confusing, and partially chaotic behinds on an almost daily basis. From driving us to Big Bazaar or to the gardens, Raju is the reason many of us had an enjoyable experience in India. For me personally, I was able to get to know Raju on a personal basis from our daily rides to and from the Purushotham office. I was able to talk to Raju about my project, Indian and geopolitical topics, the current state of affairs of the prime minister, the caste system in India, and about his and my family. From our daily rides, political talks, and samosa breaks, and meeting his adorable little girl Dhanvi, it is safe to say, Raju is one of the main reasons I loved being in India and I could not have imagined my trip without him.

-Malikul Muhamad