Monday, September 17, 2018

Eid in India

With over ten percent of India’s 1.3-billion-person population, it is no surprise that India is the third largest Muslim country. Even despite this fact, I had never imagined I’d see so many people cramped in one mosque.
I celebrated Eid Al-Fitr in Mysore, India this year—away from my family and local community. This was a very new experience for me largely because this was the first time I’d experience Eid away from home. But being able to experience another country’s culture and Eid celebration was worth the separation.
On this day of Eid, I wore my khorta and silk pants that I had gotten from Big Bazaar and was dropped off by Raju to attend the prayer. I had no idea what the Mosque nor the prayer would be like. It was an interesting experience walking with the crowd of nearly ten thousand people and climbing up the seemingly mountain of a hill where the Mosque sat to obtain a prayer spot. It was a little overwhelming. But, it was a beautiful sight. 
There were a couple things that I did struggle with, however. I quickly learned that women are sadly not allowed to enter mosques in India. It was difficult for me to wrap my head around and I felt extremely guilty for going, especially when a female Muslim student from Iowa was not allowed to come. I realized that the dissonance I was facing was a result of my adjustment to a different a culture and a different interpretation of Islam, but it left me with so many questions. Upon returning from the mosque, I did some research and talked to locals to get their perspective and understanding on this topic. I still may not agree with that interpretation of the religion, but I at least understand the local viewpoint and respect their cultural ways.
            I am really fortunate and equally glad I was able to experience Eid in this new culture. I was able to admire the beauty of Mysore and the mosque and the so many different people, listen to the khutbah (lecture), even despite not understanding any of it because it was in Kannada, and I got to spend the rest of the day with my cohort sharing this experience with them.

-Malikul Muhamad