Thursday, September 20, 2018

Ayurvedic Medicine at Vivekananda Memorial Hospital

For my project this summer, I was placed at the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital (VMH) in Sargur, India. The roots of my project, however, go back to the first hospital opened by the founders of SVYM, an Ayurvedic hospital in Kenchanahalli (now reconverted to a livelihood center). Although VMH serves principally as a multispecialty hospital with allopathic care and treatment, the Ayurvedic foundation of SVYM's first hospital are not forgotten. An Ayurvedic department at VMH offers therapies, counselling, and treatment for those who seek it. With two medical philosophies under the same roof, there are often areas of confusion or disagreement for patient recommendations. My task was to work with the ayurvedic doctors, medical doctors, and counselling department to create informative materials integrating recommendations for diabetes, pre/post-natal care, and diet. During the creation of the of the posters and flipbooks for patients, I conducted extensive research, spent countless hours shadowing in the outpatient departments, went on field visits, and spoke with many experts at the hospital to obtain a well-rounded understanding of each topic. 

My work and time in India were not limited to just my pre-assigned project, however. I had the chance to MC with other Cornell students at a presentation for newly minted doctors, work on an Ayurvedic-themed calendar to be retailed for 2019, continue the work of a former program attendee on herbal medicine labels, assist in children's yearly checkups at the tribal school in Hosahalli, and travel with the Mobile Health Unit to rural hadi's in Karnataka. I made lasting connections and friendships with doctors, interns, fellow students, the canteen staff, patients, and too many others to name. These past weeks have been incredibly rewarding and challenging, and I have grown professionally, intellectually, spiritually, and personally because of it. I am forever grateful for the incredible warmth, hospitality, and wisdom shared with me by all the people at SVYM. I know I will carry this experience with me for a lifetime. 

-Joanna