Thursday, February 11, 2021

Saara K, GH'22, Manual on Inclusive Sensory-motor Playgrounds

 


            Over the past few weeks this summer, I’ve had the incredible opportunity of working with the Comprehensive Care, Support, and Treatment for People with Disabilities (CCST-PWDs) unit of SVYM to create a user manual for an inclusive sensory-motor playground. My project involved creating a manual detailing the stations of the playground and the types of equipment found in each station. The purpose for the manual is to provide information to anyone who may visit the playground, such as parents, children, supervisors, and staff, about the uses, safety precautions, and benefits of each piece of playground equipment. The manual also has design recommendations for people who will design and construct the playground. Once the playground is completed, the manual will be available on site, and the descriptions for each piece of equipment will be displayed on a sign board by the equipment. The playground will have 6 sections, slides, balances, merry-go rounds, swings, seesaw, sensory corner, and the manual is divided based on these sections. 


            Going into this project I did not have much knowledge about inclusive playgrounds and different types of disabilities. I first needed to familiarize myself with what exactly an inclusive sensory motor playground is and what its benefits are. I conducted background research on inclusive playgrounds and then got to work on designing the layout of the manual on Canva and filling in the content of the manual. My final deliverable is a 45 page document that details the benefits, eligibility, uses, safety precautions, supervision recommendations, and design recommendations specific to each piece of equipment in the playground. I compiled information from many sources to deliver informed advice on what to include in the playground. 


            I’ve learned and grown so much throughout this project. I was able to learn in a way that goes beyond the education I receive in a classroom. I became much more familiar with graphic design and Canva. I also developed my research, writing, time management, and adaptability skills. The lectures and meetings every week have also taught me more about global health issues in India. I widened my perspective on how to approach global health issues. All of these developments furthered my knowledge of global and public health and helped spark a deeper interest in learning more about improving the lives of children and adults with disabilities. I am so appreciative to have had this opportunity to work with SVYM, and the experience I gained from this project will aid me as I continue my journey in global health.