Monday, September 30, 2019

Steven Y. ILR'22 , Education Project at the Viveka Tribal Centre for Learning

Creating a Science Textbook and Teaching English
The Summer after my freshman year, I boarded on the Emirates for my first journey outside of the United States. After a semester of preparation in Indian history and culture, I set off to the beautiful city of Mysore, where I spent two weeks touring the city and taking educational classes at the SVYM office. My project location was Hosahalli, the most rural and isolated, with the Viveka Tribal Centre for Learning, a tribal school that welcomed students from the elementary to college level. Did I mention Hosahalli was located next to the Tiger Reserve Forest?
My project was to create a Scientific textbook that would be used by the 7th and 8th grade teachers for future classes. I reported directly to the principal at the time, Mr. Gopal, and worked with the science teachers on both campuses (middle - college level, elementary level). I was tasked to review the current 7th/8th grade state textbooks, remove irrelevant topics and create lesson plans that would be catered to the tribal students. This required me to work closely with the teachers, as I would review a chapter, incorporate photos/ vernaculars that would be easily recognizable and draw out a lesson plan that included activities. Additionally, I supported Olivia, my cohort member, in co-teaching English to a group of college students. This required us to create English songs and games that incorporated the student’s backgrounds and identities, and spend time with a class of 30 daily students. Hosahalli was lively and beautiful. I remember attending entire school meetings, similar to an American pep rally, where all the students would sit together and sing songs. I spent a large amount of time interacting with the teachers and staff, as they were extremely welcoming to me and Olivia. I recall the meals that we were served and learning how hard the school worked to grow and prepare all the food themselves. With little technology and limited internet access on campus, it was beautiful to see the joy that the students had just playing with a plastic ball that they made from some recycled material. I learned how incredibly resourceful this village was and am truly grateful to have had the privilege to serve SVYM. Video of the team arriving at Hosahalii for our first visit.
Video of the drop-off when team departed and the project started.